$500 Stephen Dunn Prize in Poetry, final judge: Afaa Michael Weaver
(Stephen Dunn is the Pulitzer-Prize winning author of Different Hours and 15 other collections of poetry and prose,
including the recently published Here and
Fiction Prize, final judge: Robert Lopez
$500 Nonfiction Prize, final judge: Meredith Hall
(Donated by Michael Steinberg)
Winners as well as finalists will be
published in our Summer Awards Issue due out in early August. All winners
and finalists will be cited in future advertisements and announcements.
judges have included Celeste Ng, Richard Blanco, Michael Steinberg, Martha Collins, Kim McLarin, Randall Kenan, Jennifer Haigh, Jerald Walker, David Huddle, A. Van
Jordan, Andres Dubus III, and Terrance Hayes.
DEADLINE: April 1, 2017
WRITING CONTEST FEE FOR FICTION, NONFICTION, OR POETRY: $18.00/entry
1. Cover sheet required with name, address, telephone number and email. Email and/or phone MUST be included to be considered. Please include cover sheet in the same file as the actual submission. Do not put your name on the manuscript itself. Final judges will be choosing on the basis of the quality of your work. Please indicate the genre of your piece next to the title.
2. 12-point font. Microsoft Word attachment. Online submissions only.
3. Each entry: Fiction or Nonfiction: 23-page maximum, double-spaced; free-standing excerpts from books also accepted. Poetry: 3-poem maximum.
4. You may submit more than once but must pay a separate fee for each entry.
5. You may submit simultaneously elsewhere, but please email us immediately if accepted at another journal.
6. We will not accept previously published work. Solstice has first publication rights, but copyright reverts to you upon publication. We will publish the piece after the Summer Awards Issue in our Archives.
7. If you won last year's contest, you must skip a year before resubmitting to the contest, but we encourage you to submit work to Solstice for general publication.
8. We will announce the winners online on our Home Page approximately 6-8 weeks after the contest deadline.
9. After announcing the winners, all contest submissions will be automatically considered for standard publication unless you indicate otherwise.
10. The $18.00 entry fee must be paid online.