- $1,000 Fiction Prize, judge: Jabari Asim
- $500 Michael Steinberg Nonfiction Prize, judge: Alysia Abbott
- $500 Graphic Lit Prize, judge: Josh Neufeld
- $500 Stephen Dunn Poetry Prize, judge: Tomás Q. Morín
Contest dates: April 1 -June 1, 2022
Winners as well as finalists will be published in our Summer Awards Issue due out in August. All winners and finalists will be cited in future advertisements and announcements.
Previous judges have included Martha Collins, Andres Dubus III, Jennifer Haigh, Terrance Hayes, Robert Lopez, Celeste Ng, Jerald Walker, and Afaa Weaver.
- Cover sheet required with name, address, telephone number and email. Email and/or phone MUST be included to be considered. Please include cover sheet in the same file as the actual submission. Do not put your name on the manuscript itself. Final judges will be choosing on the basis of the quality of your work. Please indicate the genre of your piece next to the title.
- 12-point font. Microsoft Word attachment. Online submissions only.
- Each entry: Fiction or Nonfiction: 25-page maximum, double-spaced; free-standing excerpts from books also accepted. Poetry: 3-poem maximum. Graphic Lit: Original artwork, multiple panels (no single image pieces), 1-6 pages preferred, maximum 8-10 pages, in JPG/PDF format.
- You may submit more than once but must pay a separate fee for each entry.
- You may submit simultaneously elsewhere, but please email us immediately if accepted at another journal.
- We will not accept previously published work. Solstice has first publication rights, but copyright reverts to you upon publication. We will publish the piece after the Summer Awards Issue in our Archives.
- If you won last year’s contest, you must skip a year before resubmitting to the contest, but we encourage you to submit work to Solstice for general publication.
- We will announce the winners on this page approximately 6-8 weeks after the contest deadline.
- After announcing the winners, all contest submissions will be automatically considered for standard publication unless you indicate otherwise.
- The $18.00 entry fee must be paid online at the time of entry.